You may still be successfully using older techniques to generate network marketing leads. That’s if you great contacting methods. Many of us go into the office on the day of our presentation and kind of mill around and chat with each other about nothing really to simply avoid getting on the phone. But have you ever been hanging around in the office when your team leader pops in and says “Let’s make some calls?” Then she asks “Let’s see if you can schedule a couple of appointments in the next few minutes because tomorrow just opened up for me and I have some free time…You do have your list with you, don’t you?”
Now your nerves are in your throat. Your tongue swells. The heart palpitations follow. You fidget and fiddle around like your back in elementary school or something. “What’s the matter with me?” you scold yourself. “I’m an adult and this is not even a paying job! Why am I behaving like this?” Why? Probably because pitching a buddy or a stranger about your business opportunity is not the most natural thing to do. Who wants to pick up the phone and make a call to some poor unsuspecting friend to invite them to something or sell them something? It’s not novel anymore. Today there is no shortage of cold callers with a pitch about their new business.
So you look through your list and find the easiest, brokest, most un-busy buddy you have. (Well, I did.) These friends won’t ask a lot of questions. They’re your “2am emergency contact”. Or they owe you money. None-the-less, you really just need to look good on the phone and impress your team leader by setting something quickly. That way, when you set it, you can give the the old twisted-grin-wink with the thumbs up. However, is there a better approach? You could take control of your contact management so you are ready next time that happens. You want to hit the top producers list, don’t you? OK then. Here’s an upgraded version of what has worked for me before:
- Put your top 10 most qualified contacts in your database
- Review and upgrade your list each week.
- Consider the communication style of each one of your top 10 prospects What are their interests? What do they talk about? The cool thing is that now you can look them up on social media and find out.
- Make notes on a separate page about each one and update it weekly
- Then contact your team leader and ask her to contact you when she has a cancellation. This is a great opportunity to grab a permanent spot on her calendar.
- Wait until you get together to make the calls. Remember she has free time, she may as well spend it training you.
- When she gets there, pull up your well prepared notes in your contact database and dial with confidence.
Now that you have done your research on your top 10, you are armed with great information to lead into a conversation. Therefore, you can move easily into your by-the-way-are-you-busy-right-now-or-is-tomorrow-better appointment setting presentation, making a great impression the whole time. Oh yeah, now when you ask your friend for referrals, their list is sitting right there on their Facebook page. How cool is that? Now go build your own team, rinse and repeat.
Talk to you soon.